- 3 large eggplants (2½-3 lb)
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons Never Not Eating Shawarma
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt, as needed
- chopped parsley, mint or cilantro, to garnish
- Start by slicing your eggplants in half from top to bottom. Score the eggplant diagonally in a crosshatch pattern, slicing toward the bottom without piercing all the way through. Generously salt, then rub salt into the scored eggplant halves. Let the eggplants sit while the oven preheats and you prep the rest of the ingredients, at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Whisk the shawarma spice and the brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Once the oven is preheated and the eggplant has rested, pat the tops of the eggplant dry, then brush each half of the eggplant with oil until the entire ¼ cup of oil is absorbed evenly.
- Rub about 1½ tsp of the spice blend into each of the six eggplant halves. Top with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast the eggplant for 30 minutes, then drizzle with more oil. Roast for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until deep golden brown and completely tender. Cooking times may vary depending on your oven and the size of the eggplant; begin to check for doneness after 40 minutes.
- Drizzle the eggplant with oil just prior to serving, and garnish with fresh herbs. Eggplant can be made in advance, stored in the refrigerator and reheated in a covered baking dish until warm.