- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Never Not Eating Chraime Fish Spice
- Place the tomatoes in a deep, heatproof bowl. Pour enough boiling water over the tomatoes to cover and set them aside for a few minutes. Drain the water and peel the tomatoes (you can skip this step if you don’t mind the skins).
- Cut the tomatoes into ½ inch cubes. Place the tomatoes into a dry saucepan over medium low heat. Add the bell pepper, chipotle pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring every once in a while to prevent scorching. Cook for until the liquids have reduced, about 45 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil, vinegar, salt and chraime and continue cooking, stirring often, until the tomatoes and peppers are jammy, about 45 minutes to one more hour.
- Serve the matbucha with pita or challah. Leftovers will hold in the refrigerator for 5 days.