- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups long grain (basmati or other) rice, rinsed until the water runs clear
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Never Not Eating Chraime, Baharat, Lebanese 7 Spice or Shawarma
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (skip if you use chraime)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 medium onions, sliced into rings
- Cover your lentils with 4 cups of cold water in a pot, bring to a boil and then simmer until soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan on medium high and cook your onions until golden.
- Add the lentils and seasonings, stir well.
- Add the rice and stir, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover with 3 cups of boiling water, and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and recover, letting the Mejadra rest for 10 minutes.
- While it’s resting heat the remaining olive oil and fry your onion rings until brown and crispy.
- Turn out the Mejadra onto a serving platter and top with the fried onions.
Optional: sprinkle parsley and Never Not Eating Za’atar or Sumac S&P