From our good friend Sue Merry, we love you, Sue!
- 1 lb raw, medium or large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 bunch spring onions, ends trimmed, quartered, 2” long (include some greens)
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, deveined, sliced lengthwise into 1” wide strips
- 3/4 lb sugar snap or snow peas, strings removed
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into 2” florets
- 1/4 cup olive oil, the good stuff
- 2 heaping tablespoons Never Not Eating Baharat Spice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher or flaked sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place all the prepared veg in a bowl large enough to toss them all. Add Baharat Spice and olive oil. Mix thoroughly. Get your (washed) hands in there, it’s the only way to mix things properly!
- When you are ready to eat, preheat your BBQ to 400 degrees. If you are using charcoal, the coals should be good and red:) When your Q is at temp, preheat your BBQ basket for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared vegetables all at once and give it a good, vigorous stir. No, not with your hands, with a BBQ flipper. Close the lid! Give the vegetables time to get nicely charred, stirring 3 or 4 times, approximately 10-15 minutes. Keep the lid closed in between stirrings. You want the veg to remain crunchy.
- Add the shrimp and mix well. Close the lid! Leave alone for 5 minutes and then mix again. Close that thing back up and leave alone for another 5 minutes! Resist the temptation to open the lid every 30 seconds. If you use extra large shrimp they may need a couple more minutes. There’s nothing worse than over-cooked rubbery shrimp. Do not overthink this.
- By this point the shrimp will be cooked. Turn off the BBQ.
- Finish and toss well with the lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately. Can be served with pita or rice if you need carbs :)
- You can use any mixture of vegetables you want, more or less. This is not a recipe to use leafy greens in - blech, soggy and nasty.
- If you can’t find spring onions, scallions work. Don’t like snap peas, substitute broccoli or rapini. If you want a tuber in there (eg potato or yam) put them on separately first for about 10 minutes, tossed in a bit of oil.
- Don’t eat shrimp? Leave ‘em out. Use 1lb cubed firm tofu instead, add at the same time as you would the shrimp.
- Experiment, go wild! It’s all about the Baharat Spice baby.